How do you go about getting a vasectomy?

If you want to have a vasectomy it’s best to go and see your doctor, and it’s a good idea to take your partner along, too. (If possible, try to mention that you want to discuss vasectomy when you make the initial appointment, as the doctor may be able to arrange to give-you a little more time than the patients in his general surgery.) If he is happy about recommending you for an operation, and provided that you still feel vasectomy is the best method ofbirth control for you after talking to him and learning the full facts, you will be referred to a local hospital consultant. If the specialist agrees, he will then make arrangements for the operation to be carried out at a local health centre, clinic or hospital.